Sunday, November 06, 2005

MacTech Doth Come

And today began MacBeth tech week. It went amazingly smooth for a show with a giant cast and a lot of minute technical elements. I enjoyed rehearsal for the most part, and was lucky enough to get into the audience to see some scenes. The designers deserve so much praise for what they've accomplished. The set looks amazing, as do the lights and props, and aside from a few missteps, all is well.

Things that I loved today:
  • the rain wall
  • the lights
  • the fog
  • the fire
  • the set
  • the fights
Things which need some work:
  • the sound (too loud)
  • the "apparitions" (one head on a stick, and two babies on a stick)
  • the acting (some scenes are amazing, the rest need to step it up)
  • the curtain call (I hate bad curtain calls, the whole idea of them bothers me, it seems to stem from some need for approval, and usually just destroys whatever moment happens at the end of a show. I remember seeing Six Characters in Search of an Author where there was no curtain call. It rocked. The audience didn't know what to do, the house lights were already up, so they just sat for a while. That is power: making two hundred or so people sit for no reason at all. I love it. I hate curtain calls.)
For the huge show that McB is, it is going very well. I will not comment on acting or directing because it might be construed as opinion to some readers. Which it might indeed be. The show should be, at least, technically and literarily spectacular. It's Shakespeare. Now, the majority of the acting is great, but definitely not all or enough of it. I do not settle for mediocrity, even in school. Here lies the problem.

Here lies another problem. I ought to have started my midterm for Medieval Drama. I shall, now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home