Monday, March 27, 2006

Titular

And today my post has a lot to do with the title of my blog. But first I really need to profess how busy I am. Very. Okay, with that said I will try not to complain and be happy that my busy-ness is good for me. This weekend I had to work thrice and have a little fun because the spring ballet was last weekend. I went to the ballet on Saturday night, and it was just what I needed, I love the aesthetic of ballet, and the program was great, as was the dancing, featuring Steph in two major roles, and other great dancers. "Paquita" surprised me, I thought it would be one of those pieces that have good choreography but left me feeling empty, but it didn't. Rather, I enjoyed all of it because I felt like it was really unique in style and purity, especially the part with lots of little solos, each one was unique and delicate, like a nice little series of sonnets. "Who Cares?" was amazing. Balanchine and amazing dancers, enough said. I love every Balanchine I've seen so far and it kind of makes me want to drool, he is amazing with character and shape--a genius. I think that before I direct anything else I should watch a lot of Balanchine ballets to get into a good aesthetic groove. I even think Jason would love Balanchine. Mmm. "Napoli" was really light-hearted and fun, especially when Steph lead the Tarantella--she entertains me so much when she dances, especially the more comic roles. You feel like she's actually enjoying herself and makes it look like the steps take no effort at all. She's my hero.

The wine. Well, I worked thrice--that was a lot of wine. Then after work on Friday Amy and I went ot Big Red to go wine shopping. I was planning on getting at least a couple of bottles, but nothing too pricey. We were going to eat afterwards, so we were picking up something for dinner, and I knew I wanted to get a 2003 Rex Hill Pinot Noir before they sold out or marked up. I didn't know, but they were available for tasting...so we tasted that, and it was good, very spicy and unique for a Pinot Noir, and it got really good ratings from the SF Gate and Wine Spectator, so I was decided that since I found a Pinot that I liked, I'd buy it. Then we walked around more and looked and chatted as I hunted for the new vintage of Picpoul de Pinet and some other Languedoc wines. Well, I found a few Rose [ro-zay] wines that I want to try, but I want to be sure they are dry roses before I buy them. They had a few, I think from Languedoc, that I should try...and a Tavel. Both of which were very cheap and enticing...but since it is still chilly out, I decided to pass. In looking for the Picpoul I happened across a reasonably priced Ausrian Gruner Veltliner, so I put it in my basket. Then I found the Cusumano Insolia that I loved from New Orleans and got really excited. Next to it was a single bottle of the red 2003 Cusumano Nero d'Avola, again from Sicilly, for less $8.99, so I got put in into the basket. Uh oh, Marty now has three bottles totalling about $40.00 ! Eep! Well, we find the Picpoul, see that it's also available for tasting and go back to the little bar, get a plastic cupful of it, enjoy the "adult lemonade" as the drab girl at the bar called it, and then tried a easy, fruity Spanish red, which Amy decided to get. About the staff at Big Red: the wine guy is smart, but the rest of them need a lot more education or else I will get cranky. Also, the girl at the register needs to figure things out. I went to check out and the chica said that my total was $22.98 or something. Wrong. I told her to check it again, because the three bottles should be more than that. She checked the computer screen and told me it was right. I didn't argue, I tried. Then when we were leaving, I knew something was up. I took my reciept with me, but I couldn't find it. I searched and searched, and finally just smiled at the fact that I probably got a free bottle of wine. Yippee! And Ames and I ended up having a bottle of 2001 Graziano Zinfandel with dinner at Anatolia (amazing stuffed baby eggplants), and dessert and espresso (I enjoy Amy's desire for coffee after dinner...it coincides with mine.) and a Nutella crepe at the crepe place on 4th. So good. Then we went to Amy's at made no-bake cookies (I LOVE THEM!) and watching random things she DV-R'ed on her TV. The night was good. Fin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home