Monday, March 13, 2006

Catch a Cabbage or Two

And I'm finally here. I got to Louis Armstong international airport at about 8:30 pm on Friday evening. I was about to explode with excitement to see Jason, I've missed him so much and after awhile talking on the phone just doesn't cut it. I'm so lucky that I have him and that we're able to see each other as often as we do, although more is always better. So, I got into the airport, the boy picked me up, we went to Mona's for some felafel and lebna before heading home. Whenever I think of middle-eastern food or hummus I think of New Orleans and Jason. It is impossible to find good hummus in Bloomington. Anyway, we went home and hung out for a while. We ended up getting tired and falling asleep--even that was great. Saturday was the day of the Irish Channel's St. Patrick's Day Parade down Magazine St. Guess where Jason's apartment is? The Irish Channel--one block from Magazine. First we were going to get some coffee (for me, the addict) and watch the parade. Well the parade was set to start at noon, which it didn't, so we went home and changed to some green, because we were out of place. We went back to the apartment, changed, and headed back out, bloody maries in hand. (Gotta love New Orleans.) So we went and saw part of that, Mitch Landrieu and all, got some beads, no cabbages, and Jason got at Landrieu (a mayoral candidate, for those who don't know) t-shirt and bumper sticker (which he attatched yesterday). After that, we got bored and walked home to hang out for a while, clean things up, etc. Then we were going to go to Juan's Flying Burritos for dinner, and when as we walked there we realized the parade was not over. This was the serious parade. The Mardi Gras-esque floats, each with some sort of scene painted on them and a big character or something like that on the front. We got some more beads because they were thrown at us, not to us. I claim it was self defense. We realized that they were throwing the traditional cabbages along with potatoes, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, onions, and probably other assorted produce items. That was fun. Juan's wasn't open from 4:00-5:00 pm, and it was 5:00 and they still weren't open, so we went down to Nacho Mamma's where I had a crawfish and corn quesadilla and it was 2 for 1 margarita time, so we indulged. Then we went to visit "the boys" who Jason works with, and they were fun, so were their girls and their dog, and they were playing bridge, which is like euchre, but different, and confusing. We watched and stuff, but my shyness around other people's friends kicked in and I just kind of sat around. I hate when I do that because it forces those people to try to talk to me or entertain me, which is just a pain. I need to get over that. We hung their for a little, it is beautifully decorated, Leah is an amazing photographer. Then we went home, and "took a nap" that lasted until 10:30, and went to bed. Why do I sleep so much? The answer is coming shortly.

Yesterday was a big day: we did a lot. We woke up at 8:30 or 9:00 washed up, and went to Riccobono's Panola St. Cafe for brunch. Crabcakes Benedict--enough said. Then off to the grocery store. Save-A-Center sounds like a crappy cheap-o grocery, but it's really not. It's on Tchopatoulis (or however you spell it), and it's in an old factory or warehouse, looking good. It's alwaysbusy there since people came back to the city, but it as great food, produce, and lots of it. We loaded up on veggies and stuff so that I can cook some din. Mmm. After that we came home, went to Hollywood video, and rented some movies (Jason is an MVP, which basically means he can rent however much he wants whenever he wants.). I'm horrible at movies, nothing ever sounds good to me or worth my time. Then I get all of these prejudices in my head which keep me from enjoying the film. I'm stupid, and Jason got irritated for good reason. We went back home and got ready to go to the French Quarter, which inluded a stop at my favorite little wine market: Sip. We bought some Argyle Pinot Noir 2004 for dinner in the Marigny at a cute little Thai place, Sukho Thai. We got there, which took a while because I navigated us down Decatur, which is crowded, crowded, crowded, and that's bad, bad, bad. Finally we searched the Quarter streets for a parking spot with success. The car was safely parked in the "gay section", as I bluntly put it, of the FQ, which put is near the Pub, where we were going for "tea", which meant two overpriced Gin & Tonics. Tea wasn't as fun as either of us thought, so we walked. At Jackson Square we walked around and looked at art, some good, some bad, some just medicre, but all very interesting. I'm excited to have a house and have some good art on the walls, beause we can get some for our own, put up some of Jason's prints, and also commission works from friends and relatives. Sooooo, where are we? Oh, yes, We took some pictures around Jackson square, and then walked southwest to and stopped at an antique map store (super neat), and then went to Lush, which is a hand made, organic, herbal, hair and skincare place. It's really nifty, and everything is very fresh and the staff were nice and knowledgable, but I'm sometimes wary of things without a dermatologist's reccomendation, although I'll try anything once. We got a free sample of a face masque, and then left. We stopped at Urban Outfitters, where J got the cutest green Puma sandals, and then to FCUK where we didn't like anything and everything was too expensive. Time for these hungry boys to eat dinner. We went to the car and drove about ten seconds to the Marigny to Sukho Thai, easily found a place to park, grabbed the Pinot and got some food. Great service, great food, amazing boyfriend. We had Phad Thai and Naked Rama (veggies and tofu with peanut sauce)--so good if not a little to spicy. The Pinot Noir was good, very light and complimentary, but I'm just not a fan of super light bodied wines, I guess. I need to talk about wine less. After a long and lovely dinner, we came home and relaxed and Jason got a phone call from one of the boys remind him that he had some forms to fill out for work. So as he did his homework I laid down to just rest and suddenly felt icky: I swallowed and my throat hurt really bad; I was really cold; I felt sleepy; my head hurt a little; and a general malaise fell over me. @#$%. That's all I had to say. So as Jason finished his paperwork I zonked. Completely fell asleep. He had to wake me up to get ready for bed, even. I did and then I cuddled and slept soundly, if not sweaty. So here I am, Jason is at work, and I am feeling weak, tired, and have a sore throat and a moderately upset tummy. If I'm not better soon, I will cry. I promise.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jace Mace said...

boo, you don't have to be shy around my friends. they really liked you. and that made me happy

love ya, sweets

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home