Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ah-So

And I have a deep eternal conflict. It's a struggle that I try to avoid. I try to end my existential crisis, by just deciding. Should I open a bottle of wine, or not? Why is this such a big deal for me? I don't know. It's not that I might not like it, I, I, I dont' know what it is, I just get crazy. Crazy. I teeter-totter back and forth between whether I should open a bottle or not. It may go bad before I can drink it all. I don't want to drink to be drunk, I have homework to do. But maybe it'll be so yummy that it will go down in the oenophilia history books! Woe! Travesty! Calamity! I can never decide. Wait. Tomorrow...I will do it! What will it be? I don't know. Zinfandel? Maybe. Barolo? Who knows? That's all I really have right now, it might be time to stock up soon. I thinking a Pinot Noir, another Zin, Carmenere, maybe a something daring. A Viognier or something white? Eep! Maybe a Gruner Veltiner (however that's spelled)? Ahh!

Also, we're having a wine & tapas party with people from work, which should be more than fun. We're all bringing a dish and a wine. I was thinking Carmenere, so that I could share my love of it with all. Then I was thinking Viognier, because I'm intrigued by it. Finally, I think I may be set on something radical, and, well, flamboyant--Champagne. I mean the real French thing. What do we think about that? I think it's great! I'm going to look for a good one less than $30, and see how we go. Now what goes well with that? It'd have to be something that goes with Chardonnay, but even lighter, unless I can find a cheap Blanc de Noir, and then I'm totally lost. Oh food!

Speaking of food, today I bought some Bok Choy at Krog, and this older woman, we'll call her Fran, was standing next to me. "What's that?" Fran asked, much to my surprise. I turned around, not sure if she was talking to me, "Huh?" "What's that?" she repeated. "Oh, this? It's Bok Choy." I told her, and then headed toward the organic food section. But before I could get one step, she retorted, "What's is it?" I had to gather from her inflection that she had no freaking clue what this wonderful Asian veggie amounted to. "It's like a Chinese cabbage." I explained, followed by an awkward pause, which caused me to question whether her hearing aid's battery hadn't died. "Cabbage is round and purple." I was informed. "No, this is like cabbage, but not." I said, just wanting to go. "No, cabbage isn't green, that must be lettuce. Do you cook it?" "Yeah." I told her. Then I think she said more stuff, but I didn't care and I left. I couldn't bear to hear her complain about how young people eat weird food. I should tell her that the Whole Foods website has health information about veggies, and the Bok is very, very healthy. So there, Fran.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home